Thursday, September 1, 2011

Which One First - Johanna Lindsay?

Last week SBTB asked readers which Johanna Lindsey book a new romance reader should read first.  I pretty much agreed with the resulting list except maybe The Heir.  That is one of three Lindsey books that I have never been able to finish.  The other two being Heart of a Warrior  and Home for the Holidays

If I were to recommend which books of Lindsey's to read, I think it would go like this:

1. Hearts Aflame - the first ever JL book I ever read and the beginning of my historical romance love.
2. Tender Rebel - Tony Malory's story in the Malory family.  There is something about Tony that appeals to me, the description of his looks, his attitude, and his personality.
3. The Magic of You - another Malory story, this time it's Tony's niece, Amy and Warren Anderson.  A hot story with lots of humour.
4. Defy not the Heart - a medieval romance with a twist - the hero has trouble pleasuring the heroine at first because he is worried about his size.
5. When Love Awaits - another medieval, this time a man marries to gain land.
6. Once a Princess - an ordinary person suddenly finds out she is a princess from a far away land, and her prince is hot!
7. Prisoner of Desire - some people have been turned off of the story line of forced seduction, but for some reason it works in this book.
8. Love Only Once - the first book to start the Malory series - is there any other reason needed?
9. Secret Fire - a Regency era book with a kidnapping and Russian setting.
10. Fires of Winter - the story of Kristen's (Hearts Aflame)  parents
11. Surrender my Love - another Viking era story, this time it's Selig's story
12. Paradise Wild - a little old school, but I enjoyed the story with a different setting (Hawaii)
13. Man of My Dreams - Megan is determined to land herself a Duke, Ambrose St.James.  Ambrose, hiding out as a horse breeder is determined to change her mind.
14. Gentle Rogue - this book would be higher on my list, but James is so revered in subsequent books that he begins to annoy me.
15. A Gentle Feuding - warring clans and Scotland, what else is needed?

Hearts Aflame (Viking , #2) Tender Rebel (Malory Family, #2) The Magic of You (Malory Family, #4) Defy Not the Heart (Shefford's Knights, #1) When Love Awaits Once a Princess (Cardinia's Royal Family, #1)

I tried to keep the list to my top ten, but just couldn't do it.  Sadly, my favourite Johanna Lindsey books were all published before 1995.  I continue to read each book that is released, but none seem to have that magical something of the old books.

No comments: