Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review - His Enemy's Daughter by Terri Brisbin

Left physically and emotionally scarred from battle, Soren Fitzrobert seeks revenge against his enemy by claiming his holdings.  Left blinded by the invasion, Lady Sybilla is forced to marry the scarred invader.  His Enemy's Daughter follows the story of Soren and Sybilla as they fight their attraction to one another and deal with their emotional and physical wounds.

I was left disappointed by this novel.  It had all the makings of a great story but just fell flat.  Sybilla was a flat one-dimensional character for me.  Everyone loved her and she could do no wrong.  At one point, a crowd gathers to see her triumph over walking down the stairs blind.  When everyone broke into cheers, I rolled my eyes at the saccharine sweetness of it all.  I found Soren to be very superficial and vain.  His main reason for marrying Sybilla was because she could not see his scars.  The scars were another distractor for me, the way that they were described, I found it hard to believe that Soren would have survived in that time.  Soren's transformation from hating Sybilla and using her for revenge to caring for her was also too quick and not really shown in the writing.  Telling rather than showing is the downfall of this book.  It's been a couple of days since I read this book, but most of the details are vague because the story did not interest me and I ended up skimming through most of the book.  Terri Brisbin has written better in the past, so hopefully the next book will be better.

No comments: