Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Used Book Store Score

I finally made it to the ubs on the weekend. I used to go on a weekly basis, but I find now that I only go every three to six months. There is something about having a list of authors/books that you are looking for and finding them at the ubs. Although I used to make a day of it going to a couple of the stores throughout the city, I now concentrate on one. The other stores I found either had very little in their romance section and considered romance novels to be beneath them and their customers. Another store had a pretty good selection, but the store is cramped. It has boxes of books stacked and scattered throughout, blocking the shelves. And although the books are grouped by genre then alphabetically, each shelf is stacked three books deep. So if I am looking for a particular book, I need to pull out up to twenty books to get to the back row.

My favourite store is very well organized and has a large romance section. Half of one room is dedicated to contemporary and historical romance novels. The Harlequin books has it's own section in another room. The shelves are only one book deep so one does not have to go searching through piles and boxes for a book. Sometimes I think that my dream job would be to own a used book store with a coffee/tea house attached. Then I could sit and read all day while people browse through the books.

I didn't find all the books I was looking for today. But that's okay, that just means I need to go back again soon to find more books. I did walk away with five books to read.

    

No comments: