Friday, April 29, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 2


A book that you've read more than 3 times.
This was hard, and having looked over the list, I think it is only going to get harder to narrow down my choices each day.  Over my lifetime I have read hundreds, if not thousands of books.  Many I have read once and forgotten, but a lot I have read over and over again.  I think it all started with Cinderella. I have always loved to read and believe that a good book is like a good friend.  Some I have read for the first time to only finish it and immediately start again.  I did this the first time I read Nora Robert's Heaven and Earth.  

Ripley Todd just wants to live a quiet, peaceful kind of life. Her job as a sheriff's deputy keeps her busy and happy, and she has no trouble finding men when she wants them - which, lately, isn't all that often. She's perfectly content, except for one thing: she has special powers that both frighten and confuse her - and though she tries hard to hide them, she can't get them under control... Distraction soon arrives in the handsome form of MacAllister Booke - a researcher who's come to investigate the rumours of witchcraft that haunt Three Sisters Island. Right from the start, he knows there's something extraordinary about Ripley Todd. It's not just her blazing green eyes and her sultry smile. There's something else. Something he can detect, but she'll never admit. Fascinated by her struggle with her amazing abilities, he becomes determined to help her accept who she is - and find the courage to open her heart. But before Ripley and Mac can dream of what lies in the future, they must confront the pain of the past. For Three Sisters shelters centuries of secrets - and a legacy of danger that plagues them still...

This is one of my favourite Nora Roberts' series.  All three books are stellar, but the second one, Heaven and Earth, has just a little bit more oomph.  Ripley, although tough, shows some vulnerability.  But Mac just does something for me.  I think it is because he is smart, rich (shallow, I know) yet clumsy and awkward at times.  Throw in a picturesque island town, the supernatural, and I am hooked.  I return to this book at least once a year.

No comments: