Saturday, May 14, 2011

30 Days of Books - Day 14

Favorite Book Of Your Favorite Writer

I didn't even have to think about today's book, it is Hearts Aflame by Johanna Lindsey.  It's a medieval historical with Vikings and one of the first romances I bought.  I have to admit, I was drawn to this book at first because of the cover.  It was also this book that got me hooked on Johanna Lindsey.  This book was written before the popularity of the female warrior in historicals.  Kristen Hardraad, the heroine, is a strong woman taught to fight and use weapons by her mother.  But she is also still womanly, and enjoys her feminine side.  I find now that the heroine in historicals are too modern in their thinking and their actions.  They can do it all and want nothing to do with or listen to the hero.  Sometimes to the point of being TSTL.  I'm not asking for a heroine who is timid and lacks the ability to think for herself.  Instead, I want a heroine who is smart and strong while still being true to her time.  Kristen, in my opinion fits that description.  Oh, and Royce of Wyndham is hot!  If the Viking era is one of your favourites (it's one of mine) check out the Hardraad series.  It actually starts with Kristen's parent in The Fires of Winter and continues with Surrender My Love.  I am still waiting for more books from this family.

No comments: